Alpena County Road Commission
History

Michigan Public Act 149 of 1893 enabled counties to establish county road commissions through an election called by the County Board of Supervisors.  The first Board of County Road Commissioners of Alpena County was elected in April of 1894.  They held their organizational meeting on June 25, 1894.  Michigan only had 17 established county road commissions by 1905, at which time the Michigan State Highway Department was established.  Certainly the Alpena County Road Commission is one of the oldest in the State.

County road commissions were organized by Public Act 283 of 1909 to achieve two primary goals:  To provide continuity in road construction and maintenance across the state; and to provide cost-efficient and high-quality road services for county roads.

The McNitt Act of 1931 mandated that each Michigan county road commission assume jurisdiction over 20 percent of the township roads in the county each year for a 5-year period.  ACRC had completed the takeover of all of our township roads by 1935.